Business Permitting

The Business Permitting Assistance Office provides one-stop permitting and licensing information for existing Wyoming businesses and businesses wanting to relocate to the state.

For more information contact:
Paul Howard, Business Permit Program Manager
214 W. 15th Street
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82002
Phone: 307.777.2843
Fax: 307.777.2838

*NEW* Wyoming Guide to Business Permitting and Licensing Now Available

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Are telephone solicitors regulated in Wyoming?
    Telephone solicitors are required to register with the Attorney General’s Office, 307.777.7841.

  2. I want to come to Wyoming and sell widgets. Do I need to collect sales tax?
    Vendors with a presence in Wyoming who sell, alter, repair or improve tangible personal property must obtain a sales tax license and collect sales tax on retail transactions. The Department of Revenue is the appropriate contact.

  3. Suppose I have no presence in your state and sell widgets via mail order or Internet?
    In general, Wyoming cannot compel collection of sales tax on interstate sales. The purchaser is not absolved from his use tax obligation, however. Out of state vendors may enter into agreements with the state to collect sales tax from their Wyoming customers, thus freeing the customer from use tax reporting responsibilities.

  4. Are services taxed in Wyoming?
    Yes and no. Sales tax is imposed on services unless exempted by statute. These exemptions, however, are extensive and too lengthy to list on this page. Department of Revenue, 307.777.5200.

  5. What if I am incorporated in another state and wish to do business in Wyoming?
    Generally, foreign corporations must file an application for Certificate of Authority with the Secretary of State, 307.777.7311.

  6. How do I secure a Wyoming general contractor’s license?
    The state does not license contractors (except electrical). The option to license contractors is deferred to the local jurisdiction (town/county) where the construction activity is to take place.

  8. What are some of the occupations/activities NOT LICENSED by the state?
    • Auctioneers (Sales tax license required)
    • Private Investigators
    • Massage Therapists
    • Security Guards
    • Tattoo Artists
    • Athletic Agents
    • Local licensing requirements may exist. Contact the City Clerk’s Office for more information.

  9. I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon from my home state.
    Is it valid in Wyoming?

    Wyoming has reciprocal concealed weapons agreements with many states. Contact the Attorney General’s Office for more information at 307.777.7181. Click here for more information.

  10. Is there one office that acts as a comprehensive clearinghouse for licensing and permitting information and assistance?
    Yes, contact Paul Howard at 307.777.2843